Puma launches circularity and recycling of old football garments

Admin

Puma launches circularity and recycling of old football garments

Puma’s RE:Jersey project uses garments from football kits to create yarn with which the new jerseys will be made.

(4-26-2022). Puma has launched a circularity project for the recycling of garments using old football kits. The process used in RE:Jersey allows old garments with logos, embroideries and crests that previously hampered recycling, to be done now.

Puma will pilot an innovative production process in which existing football shirts will be used to produce new ones. This initiative aims to reduce waste and pave the way towards circular production models.

The process used in RE:Jersey allows old garments with logos, embroidery and crests that previously hampered recycling to be done. The RE:Jersey project uses garments from football kits to create yarn with which the new jerseys will be made.

In the RE:Jersey recycling process, garments are first chemically broken down into their main components (depolymerization), then colors are filtered, and then the material is chemically re-bonded creating yarns (repolymerization) that have the same performance characteristics as the material. virgin polyester.

While Puma soccer kits on the market today are already made from 100% recycled polyester, RE:Jersey kits are made from 75% reused soccer jerseys. The remaining 25% comes from Seaqual® Marine Plastic.

More projects for the future

“With the RE:Jersey project we wanted to develop ways to reduce our environmental impact, respect resources and reuse materials,” said Howard Williams, Director Apparel Technology at Puma. “The insights we’ve gained from RE:Jersey will help us develop more circular products in the future.”

Products made in the RE:Jersey project will be used in pre-match warm-ups by Puma clubs such as Manchester City, AC Milan, Borussia Dortmund and Olympique de Marseille. The teams will wear the jerseys before their respective league matches at the end of April.

The RE:Jersey pilot experiment is part of Puma’s Circular Lab and its Forever Better sustainability platform. As part of the Circular Lab, Puma last year announced the RE:Suede program, whereby the company has achieved a biodegradable version of its iconic Suede sneaker.


Next Post

How to convert a photo to PDF (easy, fast and free)

In this article I will tell you how to convert photo to pdf in different ways and with different devices, but all of them in a very simple way, step by step and, in addition, free. It doesn’t matter if you use a computer, a mobile, a tablet… there are […]
photoshop capture save as